It is deeply saddening that at the time of writing this message, thousands of lives have been lost to COVID-19. Extraordinary measures are being taken to protect human life and the most vulnerable.
While our thoughts and efforts are focused on battling the present crisis, we must also consider how we can protect the lives of another vulnerable section of the society – unborn baby girls.
According to a 2007 UNICEF report, it is estimated that a staggering 7000 unborn girls in India become victims of sex selective abortions every day. Sadly, this number fails to shock us in the same way as the thousands of deaths due to COVID-19.
The Vanishing Girls Campaign works to save the lives of unborn girls by advocating for the strict implementation of the Pre-Conception Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act, 1994 that prohibits sex determination.
During this lockdown, we are looking to achieve a #LockdownBreakthrough for the unborn #GirlChild. We want to raise awareness, invite likeminded citizens to join the campaign to save Vanishing Girls and also encourage donations through this Payment gateway link or the QR code below:
Your donations will help us:
- Conduct decoy operations to put erring medical practitioners behind bars
- Map ultrasound clinics and help shut down the ones operating illegally
- Mobilize lawyers to file complaints before the Appropriate Authority and take up cases in the Courts
- Take legal measures to protect mothers from domestic violence and abandonment related to son-preference
- Organize campaigns to raise awareness on the rights of daughters and also to train and empower community health workers and other stakeholders